Seasonal Eating: Spring Issue
Spring is one of our favourite times of the year here at PureHarvest HQ. The weather begins to warm up; the morning air is fresh and crisp before the sun comes out to fill the day; flowers are blooming; and it’s a great time to get active in the kitchen with lots of vibrant spring produce. Just in time for spring picnic season, we’re sharing our go-to spring fruits and vegetables along with a few of our favourite recipes for the season that are simple and easy to make (and travel well) for outdoor entertaining.
REASONS TO BUY IN-SEASON PRODUCE
- Nutrition: Seasonally fresh produce is picked when it’s ripe, fully developed and at its most nutrient rich; ensuring we’re getting the most nourishment.
- Flavour: Freshly picked produce is fragrant, colourful, juicy and usually crisp. Simply put, in-season fruit and veggies taste better.
- Economy: It’s all about supply and demand. When there is an abundance of produce, prices generally are cheaper, meaning you’re getting more bang for your buck!
- Community: It supports local farmers and producers and makes you feel good that you know where your food is coming from.
- Environment: When you’re using the natural elements to help grow produce, it means we’re using less human assistance. Seasonal produce also reduces the environmental impact as it doesn’t have to travel as far to get from the farm to your table.
TOP FIVE SPRING VEGETABLES
- Broad beans
- Globe and Jerusalem artichokes
TOP FIVE SPRING FRUITS
- Blood oranges
SPRING PICNIC RECIPES
Spring cooking lends itself so easily to bright, colourful and fresh-flavoured dishes. We’ve handpicked two of our go-to spring recipes that will be sure to satisfy the whole family.
The first is our Asparagus and Mushroom Tart. This tart is so simply to make it can be whipped up in no time and is perfectly transportable for picnics.
OTHER RECIPE INSPIRATION
Here are links to some other spring-inspired options in case the above recipes weren’t to your taste: