Seasonal Eating: Summer Issue
As the weather heats up, so do our social calendars. Here at PureHarvest HQ, we love a hot summer Christmas; taking full advantage of holiday mode, beach weather, relaxation time and in-season summer produce.
So, whether you’re spending the festive season and summer on-the-road or entertaining at home, here are our top picks for the summer fruits and vegetables to seek out on your next shop.
REASONS TO BUY IN-SEASON PRODUCE
A friendly reminder of our top five reasons to purchase in-season produce:
- Nutrition: Seasonally fresh produce is picked when it’s ripe, fully developed and at its most nutrient rich; ensuring we’re getting the most nourishment.
- Flavour: Freshly picked produce is fragrant, colourful, juicy and usually crisp. Simply put, in-season fruit and veggies taste better.
- Economy: It’s all about supply and demand. When there is an abundance of produce, prices generally are cheaper, meaning you’re getting more bang for your buck!
- Community: It supports local farmers and producers and makes you feel good that you know where your food is coming from.
- Environment: When you’re using the natural elements to help grow produce, it means we’re using less human assistance. Seasonal produce also reduces the environmental impact as it doesn’t have to travel as far to get from the farm to your table.
TOP FIVE SUMMER VEGETABLES
- Summer Squash (Zucchini)
- Sweet Potatoes
TOP FIVE SUMMER FRUITS
- Berries (Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries and Blueberries)
Summer cooking doesn’t have to be hard and shouldn’t take up a whole lot of time – think quick and easy salads, barbeques and thirst-quenching desserts. Here are two of our best summer recipes to get you started.
The first recipe is a better-for-you treat: Frozen Almond Milk and Strawberry Popsicles. Using in-season strawberries, kids are going to love this healthy ice-cream on hot days.
Our second recipe is guaranteed to be your go-to summer salad. This Vietnamese Salad Bowl is the perfect meal for those days between Christmas and New Year’s when you can’t quite recall what day of the week it is or after a long day spent at the beach.
OTHER RECIPE INSPIRATION
Want more inspiration for your summer food menu? Here are some more of our favourites: